Louis Vuitton is one of the highly recognized luxury brands in the world. It’s no surprise that most females fantasize about adding a beautiful Louis Vuitton piece to their wardrobe.

You can get assorted secondhand items at reasonable prices when you visit numerous pre-owned luxury websites, such as Fashionphile and Yoogi’s Closet. Meanwhile, it’s possible to get a lot of used luxury handbags for under $500 at a particular site. The site is known as eBay.

There are several Japanese vendors on eBay that sell secondhand Louis Vuitton handbags. Are they the real deal? Are they reliable?

How to Avoid Getting Scammed on eBay when ordering a Luxury Product

eBay is a massive online marketplace with a global reach. As usual, it’s filled with 95 percent of folks that are reliable and sincere, but the other 5% are mostly jerks that ruin everything. Our objective is to keep you safe from as many different types of fraud as possible.

Step 1: Locate your desired item

Do you have a certain design in mind or are you open to other alternatives?

For every product or model, you wish to buy, read the seller’s condition and comments. View all the images carefully. Inquire with the vendor if you have any concerns.

If the item appears to be in good condition in the photos, go through the item’s description carefully since it may provide additional information that cannot be captured ( for instance, odor).

Make sure the listing includes images of the item’s features, such as hardware, a heat stamp, and a date code. If they aren’t included, request that they be added to the listing. You’ll be safeguarded against receiving a similar-looking item if you do it this way.

Step 2: Verify that your item is genuine

You can do this by locating a business that specializes in authentication and emailing them the item’s URL. In most cases, you will receive a response within 24 hours.

Step 3: Wait for the item to arrive

Keep in mind that during COVID19, the number of flights throughout the world was significantly reduced. Therefore, your shipment may be delayed because flights have not yet been returned to normal. You have to be patient and understand that it is not the fault of the vendor.

Step 4: Videotape yourself opening the package once you get it

One regular form of eBay scam to avoid is where a vendor interchange a bag in your delivery with something different (a book, old stuff, literally anything).

That is something that never happens with a Japanese seller. However, make a videotape while opening the box if you want to be on the safer side. Just in case you fall victim to a con, this will safeguard you.

Step 5: Confirm that you received the handbag you purchased.

Confirm the serial/date code on the handbag once you’ve got it to be sure it’s the one you ordered. Pay close attention to the details. The ideal thing to do is to inspect the handbag for faults to ensure there aren’t any issues that haven’t been mentioned.

Step 6: Have fun with your handbag! Or…

If your expectations aren’t met, or there’s an issue, you always have eBay Buyer Protection. This allows you to file a claim alleging that the item is not as advertised, and you will receive a refund. In some circumstances, you’ll have to return the item.

But If there are no issues and all is well, congrats on your new purchase!

Can You Safely Buy Used Luxury Items such as Louis Vuitton Bags from Japanese sellers?

The answer is yes. When it comes to selling imitations or fakes, Japan has very stringent regulations. You must have a registered license to be a legitimate reseller. If you’re caught selling an imitation, your license will be withdrawn and you’d pay a hefty fine.

Even with that in mind, carefully validate an item before purchasing. We’ve also encountered forgeries from Japanese vendors. The reason could be that they overlooked quality control accidentally, and the vendor had no idea the item was fake. All the same, it does not make the lives of purchasers any simpler. They still have the chance of buying from a Japanese vendor and getting a counterfeit.

As a result, always remember to validate any item you acquire, even if it’s from a reputable vendor you’ve been buying from.

Why Is There Such a High Demand for Louis Vuitton Handbags from Japan?

To begin with, the market for luxury products in Japan is massive, particularly Louis Vuitton. The majority of sales come from Asia. Louis Vuitton teamed with a lot of Japanese artists as you may recall (Takashi Murakami, Yaoi Kusama, etc). As a result, they had many preowned handbags on the market that are difficult to sell within the country.

There’s another explanation for a large number of Louis Vuitton goods available in Japan. The Japanese usually have compact apartments with closets that are considerably smaller. It all comes down to practicalities. Hence, if a female owns an item that she isn’t using that occupies space in her closet, she simply sells it.