Louis Vuitton has been using product codes since the early 1980s. Louis Vuitton date codes let you know where and when the bags were produced. The authenticity of a Louis Vuitton bag can be revealed by the date code.
A date code is not a guarantee that your Louis Vuitton handbag is authentic. This is a free Date Code Checker by Louis Vuitton to guide you on how to find out the place and time of manufacture of your Louis Vuitton handbag.
How Does One Check The Authenticity Of A Louis Vuitton Bag?
One way to know if a bag is not authentic is to check the date code, however, this is NEVER a guarantee that a Louis Vuitton bag is authentic. There are no unique date codes for each bag and many fake bags have some attached.
It is good to start by checking the date code but when you are not sure, you should get in touch with a professional. This site doesn’t assure you of accurate results or the authenticity of your Louis Vuitton handbag. Make use of a verification service that reviews the authenticity of a bag by checking many different areas.
Louis Vuitton Country and Date Codes Unraveled
Louis Vuitton serial codes let you know where and when the bag was made. Since the date codes are not unique to a bag and can be faked, they do not guarantee that the bag is authentic. However, they are a good way to know where and when the bag was originally produced.
Generally, the date code consists of two letters and four numbers, for example, ‘AR1108’, where AR means Made in France. The first and third numbers tell the week the bag was produced, which indicates the 10th week in this example. The second and fourth numbers tell the year, which indicates the year 2018 (18) in this example. The bag in this example was thus manufactured in France in the 10th week of 2018.
Louis Vuitton Date Codes Are Being Replaced By Microchips
Beginning from March 2021, Louis Vuitton bags will no longer have a date code, but will now come with a microchip in the lining of the bag or small leather goods (SLG).
My Louis Vuitton bag has no date code – is it a counterfeit?
Some Louis Vuitton bags do not have a date or serial code and this might be due to any of these few reasons:
- The date code was initially stamped but has now rubbed off
Some date codes can rub away due to general wear and tear because they were stamped in a gold foil. This is common with bags that are older or have been heavily used. Date codes are sometimes embossed into the leather, and these may not be deep enough depending on the heat press. They should be good enough but can fade sometimes. If they were not initially embossed very deeply, it would be difficult to read them as the bag becomes older. Louis Vuitton Alanctra lining wears out, and this may sometimes make the serial code unreadable and very difficult to locate.
- Louis Vuitton bags made before 1980 will have no serial code.
- Your bag was made after March 2021. The bags will not come with a date code anymore but will feature a microchip in the lining of the bag.
Where Is The Date/Serial Code On My Louis Vuitton Bag?
It might be tricky to find the date code for your Louis Vuitton bag as they are placed in different areas in various styles of bags. The date codes all fall in any of these categories:
- Embossed into a leather tab and the leather tab is attached to the lining of the bag.
- The leather tab could be attached to a pocket. Open the pockets up and feel around for the leather tab.
- Embossed directly on the fabric of the bag, most times along a side seam.
- Close to a brass hinge on the exterior leather strap.
- On Louis Vuitton wallets, date codes are usually stamped to the inner end of the notes compartment.
- In Louis Vuitton agendas, date codes are usually imprinted under the flap that is closest to the seam.
Louis Vuitton Date Code Locations on The Most Popular Bags
- The Louis Vuitton Speedy Bag: The date code can be found inside. Raise the internal pocket and you will find a leather tab with the code stamped on it.
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull Bag: The date code can be found inside the bag at the top on the right-hand side. Raise the internal zipped pocket and you will see a leather tab with the code stamped on it.
- Louis Vuitton Pochette Metis Bag: The date code can be found in the zipped pocket outside the bag, in the metis on the right-hand side.
- Louis Vuitton Toiletry Pouch 26: This bag’s date code can be found inside the bag near the top, imprinted into the leather lining along with one of the side seams.
- Louis Vuitton Artsy Bag: The date code can be found inside one of the pocket walls, on the fabric of the lining. This artsy bag doesn’t have a leather tab.
- Louis Vuitton Palm Springs Mini Backpack: The serial code can be found inside the bag. The leather tab is located on the right-hand side when you feel the interior pocket on the exterior of the bag.
Why It Is Better To Buy An Original Louis Vuitton Bag Than a Fake or Replica
It is necessary to do the appropriate investigation to be sure you are buying an original item when buying a Louis Vuitton bag or any other designer handbag. We are of the opinion that original items can be great investments, and we disapprove of the counterfeit market. Vices like drugs, criminal gangs, and child trafficking are funded with the aid of counterfeit items. We recommend that you save diligently and enjoy the rewards of your labor when you are eventually able to buy your dream designer bag. You can also go for a secondhand bag which is much more affordable and there may be convenient payment plans also with credit via PayPal if needed. Note the following things too:
- Counterfeit items tend to be of low quality, both in the workmanship and the materials used.
- Counterfeit items are not legal. You are not allowed to sell them and you shouldn’t, hence, their resale value is $0.
- You will be breaking the law if you attempt to sell a counterfeit item and you risk facing legal consequences.
- When you buy a replica designer bag, you may be contributing to funds for illegal activity.
- A trained eye can often spot fake designer handbags, as bad replicas are even more easily noticeable.
Why You Should Buy An Original Designer Handbag?
- You are paying for some of the most superior workmanship and materials in the world.
- Your designer handbag can be resold at any time you want. In most cases, you also recover a good percentage of the original price of the bag if yours is still in good shape.
- Important tip- always protect the documents that come with your designer handbag including authenticity cards, receipts, and any other related accessories.
- You won’t be encouraging criminal sources.
- You can carry your new designer bag with the satisfaction of knowing that you have the real deal.
How To Find Out If You Have A Fake Or Original Louis Vuitton Bag
The best guarantee that your Louis Vuitton handbag is original is when the bag is bought directly from Louis Vuitton. Louis Vuitton doesn’t sell through agents. Their bags can only be purchased directly from their stores all over the world or on their online store.
In case you buy a second-hand Louis Vuitton handbag…
Always check your Louis Vuitton bag for the serial code and ensure it aligns with the ‘made in’ tag. For instance, if the tag reads ‘Made in Spain’, the bag will have a serial code from Spain (e.g. CA). It’s not difficult to fake date codes so if you are unsure, make sure you go on to get your bag authenticated.